Sunday, 24 September 2017

Heirloom/Vintage/Dated/Old Junk







Those words could be used to describe the same item, whether it is clothes or furniture.   What do you see when you look at the items pictured here?     If you see this table in an antique shop window does it seem more valuable than if it is stored in your grandparent's basement?     Young people, starting out their independent life, used to be happy to accept offerings from relatives.   The price was right.  Perhaps there were memories attached to the piece.  I still own a table similar to the one above.  So useful;   the extension leaves fold under.   Many family meals have taken place around this table.

It can be easy to be caught up by advertising or visits to furniture showrooms or even more affluent friends' homes.    Flat packed furniture from big box stores can seem to be part of the transition to independence and adulthood.     Fast furniture, like fast fashion, doesn't seem to last very long.   I'll confess to buying my share over the years but when I look around my home now, I don't see many things that have survived.   The sheen seems to disappear rapidly.

Sometimes I have watched house hunter type of shows from foreign locations.   I cringe a little when what appears to me to be a perfectly acceptable kitchen is disdainfully dismissed with the comment, "That will have to be gutted."   The realtor/host/spouse nods in agreement.   Easily arranged, it seems.

I have had the thought that as we get older/because we are getting older we start to value older things.   We don't want to be placed in the old junk category!   I would prefer to think that we get wiser and appreciate quality materials and workmanship.    Younger people are not immune to this point of view, however.







No post next week as I'll be on vacation. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on cringing when house shoppers look at a kitchen and say, "This will have to be gutted." There's one HGTV show we like with Nicole Curtis who restores old kitchens (as well as other parts of a house) rather than renovates them. Go Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think restoration must be so much more rewarding. I sometimes visualize mountains of landfills full of kitchen cupboards and counters that were still serviceable but for a little repair or restoration.

    ReplyDelete