Sunday, 20 August 2017

USELESS ITEMS

Do you ladies have one of these:



I do and it fits in my category of 'useless items'.    But, but, every woman needs an evening purse for those special occasions--the theatre, the opera the . . . the . . .

Somehow my evening purse has had very few outings.   For one thing it doesn't hold much, including my wallet.   That means I have to remove my drivers license and credit card from my wallet and place them loose in the evening purse prior to my outing.   Keys, a handkerchief and lipstick round out the contents.

Very few events call for gala wear.   No one seems to dress up to that level at the professional theatre productions I enjoy attending.   Wearing a basic dress and scarf or sedate jewellery already places one  among the better dressed.   Formal evenings on cruise lines might be an occasion for a purse such as this, but since your cabin is close at hand, you're not driving anywhere and everything is charged to your account, a purse seems superfluous.  I never had room for it in my carry-on suitcase.

I could relate to this post by Frugalwoods and laughed at her description of the artfully arranged collection of cushions that she and her husband endured on their bed prior to their recent move.  I, too, have thought that our master bedroom lacked a certain flair when compared to magazine and catalog offerings, because a half dozen or more coordinating pillows did not grace the top.   I've stayed in places with this chic arrangement and encountered the same problems with figuring out what to do with the cushions when the time came to actually use the bed.   The floor or any nearby chairs became handy receptacles.     I think I ultimately decided that similar to Diderot's robe I would be forced to chic up the rest of our home from its comfortable and minimalist appearance.


  

2 comments:

  1. When we first got married, I gussied up the bed with throw pillows. Then I promptly got rid of them. Just not us! I also got rid of my beautiful but lonely evening bag for the same reasons you mention. I don't wear lipstick, but if I'm the one who's driving, DH will carry my license and car key in his pocket. (Men's clothes have so many sturdy and roomy pockets!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny about men's pockets! So true.

      Delete