Sunday, 12 February 2017

Disruptive Innovation





What do you think of disruptive innovation?    I suppose it depends if you are a consumer or established producer.   Wikipedia defines it thus:

disruptive innovation is an innovation that creates a new market and value network and eventually disrupts an existing market and value network, displacing established market leading firms, products and alliances. The term was defined and phenomenon analyzed by Clayton M. Christensen beginning in 1995.


The innovation can be considerable such as when automobiles replaced horse and carriage.   That was definitely disruptive for the makers of buggy wheels and other assorted accoutrements.   

Someone finds a way to do things better and at less cost and consumers flock to them.  It may not be exactly the same but it's close enough.    Other times, an industry creates a need or desire in many consumers  to spend a lot more.   The wedding industry comes to mind here.

One industry that seems to be overdue for disruption  is the floral industry.   Floral arrangements are very expensive and they don't last long.    There's the artistic element;  not everyone has the ability to arrange flowers in a pleasing way although Youtube videos go a long way to remedy that.   Spending a hundred dollars to send someone flowers seems to be the norm  in the medium price range from my recent perusal of the situation.

I thought of sending a modest floral arrangement to an elderly  relative who lives at at a modest distance.    I set a budget of fifty dollars and searched the websites of florists within a few kilometres of her home.   Amazon will delivery a vast array of products to my home (with free shipping)  if I spend $50.   A local on-line organic grocer, SPUD, will deliver various grocery and produce items  to my door (with free delivery) if I spend $40.    Florists haven't caught onto this trend it seems.   After considerable searching I found one business that promised free delivery but after spending too long inputting information and composing an on-line card when I got to the part about paying I found a $30 service charge was added to the cost.   Seriously?   Maybe they hope that I have by now invested enough time to feel committed to proceed.   Sorry, no.



I abandoned that version of my idea.   I'm going to purchase and mail a book.  I just finished one that I feel my relative will also enjoy.   Fortunately, there's a week to go which is another example of the benefits of foresight and planning in advance.   I estimate this will cost me around $25.   

It's also an example of Think outside the box, of definite benefit to frugal and sensible people.

No comments:

Post a Comment